Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school; it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's; the very place where they're most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi; the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires make Lissa one of them forever.

Vampire Academy is an extremely imaginative story following a very exiting 2 best friends. The school teaches novices (Dhampirs training to be guardians) fighting, but Rose seems to get into a lot of fights outside of class as well.

My favourite thing about this book was the description and personalities. I found myself really pulled into all the scenes and could really imagine the settings, especially the school. 

Rose is my favourite character. She's very out-going, determined, sarcastic, and fun. Lissa is a bit of the opposite, very shy, quiet and careful until later on in the novel when her personality changes drastically.

 The book was very interesting, full of thrilling danger and excitement. Dimitri is my second favourite character, a very mysterious Russian guardian. When he isn't kicking ass, or giving Rose life lesson in the form of what she calls ' fortune cookies', he's standing tall and silent. 

What really completed this book was the bloody killed animals being left for Lissa. I know it sounds a bit weird but it gave the book more suspense and more of a story. I t turned out not just to be a sort-of high-school story but more of a thriller.

Although I loved this book and the sequel Frostbite, I accidentally read the blurb of a book later on in the series and I also read some reviews with huge spoilers in and found out stuff I didn't want to know. From that info I decided not to read the next load of books in this series, they seem to go on for too long and personally I thought that the series could have ended after just the 2 books I read.

 I will still miss Rose, Dimitri, Lissa and all their adventures but I’ve too little time to finish the series and a whole list of brilliant books to read!

1 comment: