Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Stray - Rachel Vincent

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them.

I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.
Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.
I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.
This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .


I've never read a book quite like Stray before, for me it was a completely new take on the paranormal genre. The were-cats (described as being like black panthers) are something I’ve never read about before. Enhanced senses, strength and completely kick-ass! This book was extremely exiting and gripping.

The main character, Faythe is a very likeable character although she gets into many fights, both physical and verbal. One of the best things about her is that she isn't flawless - making her all the more believable and real (even though she's a mythical creature).

As well as being filled with action, relationships between the characters add a lot to the story. Especially Faythe's relationships with Jace, a flirty, hot childhood friend and a complicated ex Marc, whom she still loves but he chose loyalty to his pack over her.

This book kept me up all night long reading as I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next. Faythe is my favourite character, an independent thinking, sort-of feminist, freedom-seeking, determined tabby, and completely kick-ass! Quite uncommon for a tabby, she fights along with her many brothers, not leading a more usual, docile life.

Stray was quite gruesome at times as we are pulled into the life of a rapist. Although the scenes were described very well they weren't exactly 'pretty'.

The end surprised me completely, as the whole family is betrayed by a very unlikely suspect.

An absolutely amazing read. Rachel Vincent is a very talented writer who had me hooked from the very first page to the last. A must-read for any thrill-seeking readers!

3 comments:

  1. I definitely have to order this book .. I hear awesome things about this series !! Glad you liked the first book !!
    Thanks for the review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! This sounds kind of scary... Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was a pretty strange book, you should definitely read it though, one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete